From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:31:38 -0600
The concept of Master and Slave does not apply to SATA drives, because
each drive has its own cable.  Presumably the IDE drive would be the
master and the cd rom the slave.

What you really mean, I suspect, is what is the boot drive, and you
**should** be able to set that to the IDE drive in the BIOS.  (Some BIOS
can be cantankerous, however.)  Look in your BIOS and see what the
choices are.

Your "I would think" comment is the crux of whether or not this will
work.  Since I have never done this kind of dual boot, I have no idea
whether it would work or not.  However, I don't share your confidence.
Since nobody else has responded to this question, as I recall, they have
never done it or forgot what they did. :)  It is not a sure thing,
however.  As I recall the last time I set up a SATA drive, there was
some stuff that had to be set in the BIOS.  (Can someone help me here,
please?)  It was two years ago at my last upgrade, and I have forgotten
what it entailed.  First I went with a Raid setup, then I went back to
single drive.  It is all confused in my mind.  :)  At any rate, I am not
so certain that it will work....

The real value of the SATA drive in your type of setup would be
increased speed.  You should be able to do just as well by adding an IDE
drive with a large cache - most of them have large caches these days.
Then you won't even have to face this issue...

HTH

Dean