From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:56:39 -0700
. Right now I have a Maxtor HDD on the primary IDE channel
>working perfectly, with the unpartitioned Fujitsu on the scondary. When I
>start my computer, the Bios (PA-2013 FIC motherboard) recongonizes them
>both, but the computer cannot see the Fijitsu in dos or windows 98. I do
>have a Win98 startup disk, with format.com and fdisk.exe on it. I copied the
>installation files for Windows 98 onto the Maxtor, and plan to copy those to
>the Fujitsu and install Windows 98 from the hard drive, instead of the
>CD-Rom, so the cd rom drivers should be unessesay. The plan will be for the
>Fujitsu to be the only hard drive in the computer on the primary channel.

Your OS can not see the drive because it has not been partitioned and
formated.

>Now for my questions:

If you plan on transferring the contents of the Maxtor to the new Fujitus
and then removing the Maxtor then go buy Powerquest's < Drive Copy >....20
-  30 dollars.  Then all you will have to do is move your un partitioned,
un formatted Fujitu to the primary and your Maxtor to the secondary....boot
off the Drive Copy floppy....and then tell it to clone your Maxtor to your
Fujitu....when it is done you simply shut down and remove your
Maxtor.....then reboot and everything is the same ...except you have more
space on the drives you now have......which I think is what you are
attempting to do......then you can use 98 to upgrade Windows right from
your new drive and 98 will make the FAT 32 conversion for you when it installs.

I am quite cable of using other manual methods to clone a drive but I use
Drive Copy to perform the task. It is fast, easy and was designed for
people with limited knowledge of partitioning and formatting who just want
to add a bigger hard drive. The program will also provide you with
documentation that will explain many of your basic questions regarding
partitioning and formatting.

If you are planning on keeping the Maxtor on the secondary drive after you
clone it then go back to my first post and use it fo help you partition and
format the Maxtor on the secondary channel using a boot floppy with FDISK
and FORMAT ....just boot off a boot floppy with FDISK and FORMAT on it
..run FDISK ...select the second disk ...which will now be your
Maxtor.........and then create the partitions you wish. When your finished
reboot and Format the new drives you have just created and your ready to
upgrade to 98 which will offer to convert the Maxtor to FAT 32 when it
installs.

When you move your Maxtor to the secondary channel keep in mind that if you
have a existing CD ROM on the secondary channel then you will need to
jumper it as a slave and jumper the Maxtor as a Master /with Slave. If you
do not have anything slaved to the Maxtor on the secondary channel you need
only move it as I am assuming it is presently the only device on the
primary channel and as such is jumpered as a Master / only drive.

If you later decide to add additional partitions...such as a swap partition
you can use a product like PowerQuest's Partition Magic to perform this
without using Dos tools like FDISK or FORMAT or putting your existing data
at risk. You can not use FDISK or FORMAT without destroying  all the data
on the drive.

If all this still sounds like the DNA evidence at the OJ trial then before
you attempt any of this I would suggest you do a little research so you
have a basic understanding of setting up a hard drive by partitioning and
formatting. Powerquests Partition Magic has some execelent documentation
toward that end .

                                  -----