From:
4 computer9f <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:39:43 -0400
To pin programs or folders to the XP Start Menu,
    Right click the start button and select properties
    Choose the Start Menu radio button and click the Customize button
    Set the "Number of Programs on Start Menu" to Zero (0)
         (this prevents the items from changing in the future)

    Now anything (Program shortcut, Folder shortcut, Document shortcut)
    that you drag to the Start Button will be pinned to the left side of the
    Start Menu.  Note that the Start Menu will open and let you position
    the new item wherever you want in the list (shows a horizontal line).
    To remove an item, right click it and choose "remove from list". To
    reposition an item, just drag it.

To pin a program,
    Open the folder that contains the executable (.exe file) (or a shortcut)
    Drag the executable to the Start button

To pin a folder,
    Open the folder that contains the folder you want to pin
    Drag the folder to the Start button

To pin a document,
    Open the folder that contains the document you want to pin
    Drag the document to the Start button.

Start Menu items are all shortcuts, it's like dragging something to
the quick launch bar or to the desktop creates a shortcut.
When you hover with it, it shows the little curly shortcut arrow,
instead of a plus sign as it would when copying the actual item.

You can also create a "toolbar" from any folder and pin it to the quick
launch bar (name it something short).  You can set it to be 'closed' except
for the folder name and then click on the arrow when you want to choose
something from it.

Or you can pull the toolbar out of the quick launch area (or into it)
so that it can be "pinned" open (like the taskbar) to an edge of the
desktop - however, even if you choose, always on top for it, some
applications may not honor its boundaries as the desktop edge and may
slip under it. (Windows folders will, however, honor the boundaries).

I have one at the top of my screen that contains frequently used folders, so
I can just drag things into them.  You can rename these items to something
very short - 2 to 5 characters.  The spacing  for every item will be as long
as the longest name.

You have to UNlock the taskbar to see the "handles" (vertical rows of
dots)  for toolbars pinned to the taskbar. You need the handles showing
to move such items, but then LOCK the taskbar when you are done to
prevent anything from accidentally moving or changing (the handles
disappear).  You can use the handles to drag the item closed against an
edge of taskbar so it only takes a tiny space & won't open until you click
it.

You can lock/unlock the taskbar by right clicking an empty spot &
clicking "lock the taskbar" to toggle the checkmark beside it.

I have one taskbar folder toolbar (EML) for opening an email provider
(Outlook Express, Gmail, etc), one (F) for frequently used folders,
one (SRCH) for search programs, and one (SITE) for frequently
accessed web pages.

Very handy features of XP & very easy to use.  Good Luck.

AnnaSummers