From:
patrick meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:43:36 -0800
At 04:12 PM 1/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
> My experience with HP printers has been less than stellar...they're slow to
>print, noisy, expensive, the drivers are buggy, and the print quality is ok
>but certainly not the best. My boss replaced his with an Epson Stylus Color
>850...the print quality is outstanding, much better than HP, it's faster,
>works in DOS, and can be shared on the network.

For an opinion from the other side of the track.....
Have an Epson Stylus 800  at work, can't run on the network because the
network card supplied by Epson will not run on my Novell switched network,
["please send $385 for another card and maybe it will be the right one --
it wasn't?  well send it back  and we'll credit you the amount minus the
restocking fee and we try again after we recieve the full payment."]  9
months and counting now.

Colour Resolution is great on their paper but for what we do in over heads
and drafts for the Textronix Phaser can't say it's anybetter than the HP.
Cartridges cost more, run out sonner, takes longer to wake up in the
morning, makes an incredible amount of annoying noise as it get's ready to
print (print cartridges moving back and forth getting the ink flowing i
guess).

Solution to get the Epson on the network is the HP 170 jet direct box.
$130 at local VAR.

HP connected right up and, makes no annoying sounds when asked to print in
the morning, prints great on the overheads, and the cartridges are cheaper.

If you want great colour for yourself then maybe the Epson but the
negatives are there.