From:
Earl Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:58:39 +0200
Hello

I had this problem when I switched from an older machine using
Win 95 to a new machine running Win 98. It turned out that Win 98
recognised the Zip Drive automatically when it was plugged in.
So, Win98 had already assigned a drive letter, etc and so the
Guest95 software on the 1.44Mb disk didn't work. Check in Windows
Explorer and there whould be a drive assigned to the Zip drive.
Insert the Tools Zip disk supplied with the drive and run setup
directly from the Zip disk - this should sort everything out.

Also, I've found, from painful experience, the Zip Drives *do
not* ship with the latest software so you should visit Iomega's
web site to download and install the updated software - it will
definitely improve performance. Another issue with Zip drives is
the ASPI drivers used by Windows are a said to be a bit flaky.
There used to be updated ASPI drivers available from
http://grc.com/aspi_me.exe but apparently Adaptec claimed these
new drivers as their own and, as far as I know, you can now only
get them from the Adaptec web site - *but* apparently before
downloading your system is checked for Adaptec software /
hardware and if there is none you can't download the new drivers.

Hope this helps

Earl