Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 15:37:33 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/2005 3:21:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
my monitor screen went black and a box appeared with the message "Out of
Range.255mhrtz...48.8 k" . Not sure if those numbers are precise. The Pc is non
functional to the point where i have to unplug it to shut it down. On restarting
I get the same message. I left it alone for a week and now its fine.. So what
exactly is "out of range" . Thank you
Hi,
  Monitors have a certain horizontal scanning frequency range that they will
work at, typically better monitors go higher. The horizontal frequency can be
determined by multiplying the second number of the resolution by the refresh
rate, then add about 10% for vertical retrace. So if you are running at 1280 x
1024 resolution and 75Hz refresh rate, the scanning frequency will be 1024 x
75=76,800 then add 10% (7,680) for a total of 84,480Hz (approximately). It
sounds ike your monitor does not support the resolution/refresh rate you were
running at, so you got a "out of range" error message. Be glad of it, it used to
be monitors would kill themselves if you did that. Just keep either the
resolution or the refresh rate set to a lower value, and you should be fine.

Hope this helps,
Peter Hogan

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml