From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:08:41 -0700
  There's a bit of a terminaology issue here, in that you already have A network, which
apparently is different in some respects from what you hope to have.  It's not entirely
clear to me what additional functionality you have in mind, but some of your comments
and questions suggest some possibilities.

  Network services are implemented in "layers".  At layer 1 (physical) you have two
variations, wired and wireless, and at layer 2 (data link) you have two corresponding
varieties, WiFi and Ethernet (each of which has additional variants that we don't need to
go into.  Layer 3 (network) is being provided currently by your router, and there's no
obvious immediate need to change that.
  Layer 4 (transport) is being provided by each of your computers; layers 3 and 4 are the
heart of the TCP/IP network protocol and they ensure that all of your devices can, at
least potentially, talk to each other.  It's getting above this point that things start to get,
uh, interesting....

  The 16-bit Windows for Workgroups 3.1 (3.11 became the classic version) defined a
group of services ("NetBIOS") by which Windows machines on a network could find
each other and share drives/folders with each other.  Versions of these services were
used throughout the 32-bit Windows line, but have gradually been depricated as
security and performance issues have appeared and some could not be fixed.
  Meanwhile additional services appeared on the 16-bit LAN Manager and the server
versions of NT, 2000, and so on.  Perhaps the most important of these was the Domain
(rather than Workgroup) concept.  In a workgroup, each machine keeps its own local
set of user accounts and privileges; in a domain, this information is managed via one or
more central servers.  (Microsoft also introduced the MCSE certification for staff trained
to manage a domain-based network...)  When you ask what Windows OS to build your
network on, it sounds like you might be thinking of something like this...
  I believe it was 2000 that introduced a new set of sharing services which these days
are much more recommended and supported than the NetBIOS ones.  Which can
make sharing drives/folders between 9x and XP machines a bit more complicated than
otherwise.  (Hopefully this is amongst the issues that Network Magic addresses.)

  The domain system was heavily modified in going from NT to 2000 (where it was
renamed "Active Directory"), and has been tweaked from time to time since.  If you
want to set up that kind of managed snetwork service, you really should get one of the
Server OS series; I believe Windows 2008 Server is probably the latest.

  Perhaps it will be easier to give useful advice if you can identify things that your current
network doesn't do that you want it to.

David Gillett
CCNP