From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:15:09 -0700
Cat5e is good to 100 meters (300 feet) on a single line run, so long as
there are no breaks. Coupling two short lines together to make a long
one creates all kinds of issues with timing changes, signal attenuation
or complete loss of signal. Two solutions are to add something to
re-time and regenerate the signal at the break (hub, switch, etc), or
pull a fresh unified run of cable. This is most likely not an issue with
a NIC, but it's a good idea to keep that spare one around for down the
road. Best of luck.