From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:38:46 -0800
On  2 Sep 98 at 13:17, Rick Glazier wrote:

> Changhsu Liu wrote:
> >>I added a second drive to my system.
> >>Is there a way to make the old >drive: c, d, e, f; new
> >>one: g, h, i, j?
> >
> Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >This can be accomplished if you FDISK the slave drive such that
> >it does not have a primary partition. That is, you must create
> >only an extended partition on the slave drive. (Then use FDISK
> >to create four logical drives inside this extended partition.)

Rick Glazier asks:
>   I REALLY should have done this a long time ago. Other than being
> "in the dark" then, I have only one important question. Is it just
> as safe, with no hidden draw backs or pitfalls waiting to "get" me?

  Well, re-FDISKing the drive will lose all of your existing data on
it.  Whether that's considered safe could depend on how much use
you've made of the drive so far.

  You *might* be able to avoid that using Partition Magic, or
something similar.  I'm not positive that it can copy a primary
partition to a logical volume, but once you create the volume you
could use xcopy for that step.[*]  You should back up the data
anyway, but at least this can save you the hassle of restoring it.

> OK I lied, the second question is: Will all "manor"
> of HD controller hardware (and HD software drivers) handle
> this type of configuration the same at all times?
> Part two is a "go try it" question, sorry...   ;-)))      Rick

  The only restriction that's likely to apply is that only primary
partitions can be bootable.

[*] The steps are something like:

1.  Shrink existing logical drives, and move them up against the high
end of the extended partition.  Create a new logical drive at the
start of the partition (and format it, I believe).

2.  xcopy the primary partition to the new logical drive using
appropriate options (depending on OS).

3.  Back to PM; delete primary partition, expand extended, and
resize/move logical drives to fill space.

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**