Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:01:54 -0700
  A router has at least two IP addresses -- it "routes" traffic arriving
at one address (but trying to get to somewhere else) out through another
interface (with its own address) that can get it closer to where it
wants to go.
  In the case of a typical SOHO router, one address is on the "WAN"
interface, facing your ISP (or some other "upstream" router), and the
other is part of a "DHCP scope" (block of private addresses) facing
clients.

  Most SOHO routers should allow their WAN interface to receive address
configuration via DHCP, so you connect the WAN interface of the second
router (configured this way) to a client interface on the first router.
And configure the second router to hand out a *different* block of
client addresses than the first, and make sure that NAT (Network Address
Translation) is enabled on both routers, too.  (Again, the commonest
default on SOHO gear.)
  RFC 1918 is the standard which specifies the blocks of addresses (and
associated subnet masks) reserved for private use on IPv4 networks.

David