From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:26:15 -0500
Over the years it has become almost impossible to compare the "speed or strength" of microprocessors from
different companies.  Even if they  are somehow fairly rated for comparison purposes, one will likely run
some types of software better than the other and vice versa (for example, Excell or Doom).  (Like a van
vs. an SUV.)  It has reached the point now that these companies do not even list the clock speed in the
names of the processors, and with good reason.  For a consumer to do comparison shopping, he/she needs to
look in the tests run by the independent reviewers such as www.tomshardware.com,  www.extremetech.com, or
one of the others.  Even then it can be difficult to assess what is better for one's own needs.  As Rick
pointed out, the amount of on-chip cache memory can be very important, as well as the chip set used with
the processor.

HTH, but I know it won't. :(

Dean Kukral