From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 01:16:08 -0800
On 10 Aug 00, at 16:00, Roger Griffiths wrote:

> I have a machine that will connect to the national carriers ISP,
> but refuses to browse the Internet or retrieve mail. It has done
> so before, but the client says it has just stopped working.
>
> I looked at the settings and found that a previous connection had
> been set up to another ISP using a CD that configures all the
> settings for the user. It appears that a proxy server had been set
> up for the other ISP. I disabled this feature as it is not
> required, but it continued to look for the proxy.
>
> Having exhausted all possibilities under LAN and Settings in the
> connection tab. I opted to remove the dial up adapter and
> reinstall it. Then I upgrade to I.E. 5.1, still nothing would
> work.
>
> On the last attempt I went into registry and removed proxy
> settings that still existed for the old ISP that seemed to
> indicate an association. I removed all entries of Netscape that
> must have been on the PC before and Neoplanet. Then uninstalled
> all versions of I.E. till I got back to I.E. 4.0. Even with just
> this browser installed it will not access the Internet, stating
> that it could not find the server.
>
> Uninstalling Windows is not an option for this person, so if
> anyone can offer a fix for this issue, I'd appreciate it. This
> machine is running Windows '95b.
>
> Have tried ping and it does send, which is more than I can say
> with the browser.

  I don't know what causes this, but it seems that the Windows 2000
side of my dual-boot (2K and 98SE) machine has gotten itself into the
same kind of state.  No other ISP involved, no proxy settings that I
can find -- although it did set itself to "always dial", even when
there's already a connection, but clearing this setting didn't seem
to help.

  I did recently visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download and
install various updates from there.  Might that have been done
recently on your machine?

David G

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions