From:
Tom Billiodeaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:34:34 -0600
Hi Larry,
I would be thinking it may be bad.
You may already have done these steps, but here is a way to find out:
1. Uplug all perepherials that are not absolutely necessary, which would
only leave you with video/mouse/keyboard/hdd.
2. Set bios to allow hdd to boot first and boot up.

If you are not able to post (beep at power startup), check your memory
chips.

If you can, try to boot up from dos, which would probably require a floppy
and your floppy controller may be bad.
Then use your cd to boot up to dos or your w98 cd and go to save or console
mode.

The object is to see if any of your controllers are working such as
floppy/hdd/cdrom. Then see if your video card is working.

If these basics cannot be used, it is just as well that it is bad.

Another consideration is powersupply.
If you know your powersupply is ok, that is a plus. Posting at bootup is a
good indicator that powersupply is ok.

I trashed a mobo because the built in floppy controller was bad. I can buy a
P3 mobo for $45-50, which is an upgrade which makes it not worth replacing
the old. For $130, I replaced my PI with a PIII and Cele800 with 256mb cas2
ram all running 1.07G/133mhz.
This included sound/video with Intel 815e chipset.