From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2005 05:30:25 -0400
When I first got my DVD burner, a year or more ago, I researched how to
use it, and found this site:  http://www.videohelp.com/
which I mentioned previosly. I cannot over-emphsize the quantity and
quality of tutorials at this site.
After several coasters, largely due to my own haste, I began burning
perfect backups every time using DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink. (In most
cases, DVD Decrypter is all that's needed: A total of 2 clicks after
setup). I use Nero 6 with all the updates, and either DVD + or DVD-,
depneding on what's laying around at the time. My Sony DVD player plays
either. I've used many different kinds of media, and have had no
problems associated with brands, although I understand this is possible.
I've used two different computers-XP machines with 1.2  GHz and 2.2 GHz
processors. The burnersd are made by Lite-On and Sony (Burners are
rigorously reviewed at the above site).
I'm constitutionally opposed to paying for software when free solutions
are available. This has led me down tortuous paths, but in most cases
has led to more than adequate resolutions.
A couple of months ago,. my computer-challenged neighbor approached me
to assist her in installing a DVD burner and teaching her to burn DVDs.
After several frustrating failures, we determined she had a faulty
burner (Lite-On). She now makes flawless backups with ease on her POS HP
(We added 256 MB RAM to bring her to 512). I was rewarded with the
finest cherry pie I have ever consumed.
In short, if you want to back up your DVDs, study the process a bit,
make sure your hardware meets the minimum requirements and is
functioning properly and go for it.