From:
john freibergs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:11:10 -0700
I have a Gateway Brookings motherboard with an
integrated 8Mb video.  When I first tried to get my
system running I found myself in the same position.
With only 16 color showing and a real grainy look to
the monitor. I had to install the video drivers for
the onboard 810e chipset to get to normal operation.
I just installed a new hard drive last week and it was
the same experience.  I do run win98se.  Which was why
I made the suggestion that the problem was lack of
video drivers especially if he has integrated video on
the motherboard.  The other thing I've found is that
when you go to Windows Update one of the updates it
offers along with all the patches for 98se at least
for me is a newer driver for my 810e chipset from
Intel.  So possibly if he had web access on the new
computer he might have luck there without having to do
any tracking down of drivers from other sites.

John