From:
Michael Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:57:14 -0600
I just got a Lexmark 5700 printer which supposedly needs a IEEE-1284
printer cable (I tried it with a standard DB25 to Centronics cable off my
dot-matrix and it worked fine.) My question comes from the fact that this
printer is getting it's signals through the printer port on my DR scanner.
Setup for this scanner requires the parallel port to be set in BIOS to ECP
or EPP mode. Do these modes activate the bidirectional signals which the
IEEE cable feeds to/from the printer? Will the printer port on the scanner
be IEEE caspable? Printing speeds don't seem any faster with the IEEE cable
than the standard printer cable. Documentation on these questions is really
sparse in the scanner setup docs and the setup docs for the printer say
nothing about setting the BIOS at all.
| labrat 'at' pobox 'dot' com | Just because you're paranoid doesn't  |
|                             | mean they're not out to get you       |

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html