From:
Peter Ekkerman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:40:09 -0700
Hi Ricky,

I've read the various answers already supplied by the readers.
while it is true that the drivers may be loaded by pressing F6 , this
often is not successful
due to the way the drivers are presented to the setup.

However,the most important thing is to set the BIOS to IDE mode first.

Some steps to follow:
1.Check if the drive is recognized in the BIOS. if so :
2.Under Advanced Chipset settings ,enable IDE compatibility or IDE Mode.
3.Set the bootup order  as follows 1st device CD drive, 2nd device 1st
HDD.

If not sure about settings in BIOS  - go to manufacture's website or
Motherboard site
and get all updates for drivers, BIOS and manual.
The BIOS can also be reset if corrupted (on MoBo)  or flashed to a newer
version,
by using a Live CD that has the BIOS file on board - have to create that
yourself,
unless other means are provided by the manufacturer.

All of the above assumes that there's nothing else wrong with the MoBo
or the BIOS chip.

The fact that Windows was loaded, means that the BIOS DID recognize the
hard drive.
Windows files can't load to a non-recognized drive ;)
So,it's just the IDE settings you may want to tackle.
While at it, replace the so-called CMOS battery.

I had exactly the same problem and only succeeded after enabling IDE
Mode.

Side note to Don Penlington: Sorry you had to abandon your project.
I was hoping that a reset or flashing of the BIOS would have helped.
Of course nothing can be accomplished if the MoBo is faulty.
BTW , regarding the floppy drive - again,if the MoBo has an onboard
socket for it,
you would still have to enable it in the BIOS and after a reboot the
floppy drive should show up.
Again, barring other faults on the MoBo.

Peter E.