From:
BILL RAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 03:23:53 -0500
Probably not much help but I did have trouble earlier this year with a UMAX
Astra1200s scanner.  Installed a scsi card which came with the scanner,
downloaded several replacement device drivers from the UMAX  site, sent
dozens of e-mails and made many phone calls to UMAX tech support.  After
nearly 6 mos. I got the scanner to work because in the interim UMAX put a
NEW vxd on their website.  This worked.  Oh yes, I was running it on a Dell
XPS 200mhz Pentium with 64megs of ram.  I guess the moral is that most of
these hardware incompatibility problems are due to an incorrect vxd.
Despite all of the assurances at UMAX by tech support (by the way, they were
rude and supercilious!) that something was wrong with my system, in the end
the solution was a new vxd from UMAX.  I have found that when you call ANY
TECH SUPPORT with a problem they can't fathom, they blame you and/or your
system.  They will NEVER admit that they don't have a clue.  Oh well.  By
now no major manufacturer has any excuse for its equipment not working
properly on mainstream machines.  You just have to keep after them.  My
point is that all manufacturers today are wrong.  Their tech support is
inadequate (and some CHARGE for it!).  What we need is a consumer protection
law against all software and hardware vendors.  Would any of us find it
acceptable if a new refrigerator had a GPF every once in a while, left us
clueless and spoiled lots of food and cost us money all of the time?  Of
course not.  We should not let these Computer vendors get away with this
stuff.  The only way to handle this is to begin to direct complaints to
Congressmen and demand that laws be enacted to hold these OEMs, etc.
responsible.  Sorry for the rant.  You have my sympathy.  I hope things work
out for you and your mfr. posts a new vxd soon.  Good luck.

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html