From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:08:57 -0400
I don't think that you want to mix your 7200 rpm and your 10000 rpm drives
in a RAID arrangement.  You'll lose the advantage of having a 10000 rpm
drive.

It is questionable whether there is any reason to use RAID 0 on a desktop
system.  See http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101 .  It
looks like maybe a RAID 1 arrangement might make some sense with two matched
drives, if you are very concerned about making sure that your data is backed
up.

The RAID configuration cannot be across different types of controllers.

10,000 rpm drives run hot, so cooling is a significant concern.  Whether
you'll need extra cooling will depend on your case and how the fans are
arranged in it.  Many have an intake fan placed in the front to blow over
the hard drive cage, which is usually placed just adjacent to this fan.

John Sproule