From:
Wendy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:26:45 EST
At 05:13 PM 2/13/1999 Wendy Brown wrote:
>I have a homebulit system and recently, I have been having some problems. The
>system is an AMD K6 200 MHz, with an Abit Ax5 Mobo, 32 mb of SDRAM, a WD
>Caviar 5.1 GB hdd, a Diamond 4mb v330 video card, a Panasonic Big 5 10X CD
>rom and a SB AWE 64 GOLD.  The first problem I encountered was the hard drive
>making a buzzing noise.  .  .  About a year later, the computer wouldn't turn
on.  >Apparently. the hard drive shorted out because when I tried the hdd on
my son's >computer, it wouldn't turn on either.

Wendy:
You could use a POST diagnostic card but you may find it more expeditious to
try all the components (the CPU, RAM, etc.) in a known working computer and
salvage what you can.

I would guess that your energy fluctuations have sent the capacitors on your
motherboard to the great beyond.

Since you live in the Lightening State, I suggest you get a UPS for your
system unit and monitor, to avoid problems in the future.

Regards,

John Chin

John,
I bought a new mobo tonight and after putting everything together again -
nothing happened - just as if there was no power.  Then my son thought about
the problem with the previous hdd that I replaced in November and we
disconnected the hdd - it turned on this time.  What is causing this problem
with my hdds?  Is it possible that a bad pwr supply could cause the hdd to
short out?  This is the same thing that happened with my last hdd.  Have you
ever heard of this happening before?   Have you heard of problems with this
particular WD (5.1) ?  Do you think that WD would replace either of these
drives?  They are both less than 2 years old.

Thanks,
Wendy Brown

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com