Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:21:44 -0800
On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 00:29:32 -0500, you wrote:

Hello Paul

You posted asking about upgrading your Pentium 200MHz computer to a
faster CPU.

This absolutely depends on your exact mainboard. If the brand and
model of a Socket 7 mainboard is based on HX or TX  chipset the answer
is often yes and the proper AMD K6-2 or K6-3 350 400 or 450 Mhz CPU
costing less than $100 can be a noticeable and significant upgrade to
such a system.

You would have to know your exact mainboard brand, model and revision
and it is often necessary to download and flash the BIOS.

Really a 400Mhz 66MHz bus 64MB runs almost all serious software just
fine. It is action games that can demand the fastest most expensive
computer possible.

Win95 needs a simple  patch to support CPUs over 300MHz . Sometimes
this is called an AMD patch but that is only because Intel doesn't
make CPUs faster than 233MHz for Socket 7 boards.  Pentium II systems
over 333MHz also would require the software patch to Windows 95.
But Windows 98 and on come supporting faster than 333MHZ CPUs

Now as to your  motivation for this upgrade. Voice Recognition
Software. Whether Dragon Naturally Speaking, ViaVoice etc...

This type of software has come a long way and yes it works fairly near
to its capability on  333MHz and up. HOWEVER you need to buy a GOOD
noise canceling headset microphone (about $30). And it requires some
HOURS of  training and setup. After that it will improve (learn) as
you use it for many more hours and you learn how to dictate (not
exactly "naturally"). Don't expect after training  to be able to read
it a page from a book without  5  to 30 recognition errors.that you
will have to go back and correct.

The problem is not so much computing horsepower but speed recognition
algorithms need much improving. If you think about it even humans
literally  miss about 5% of ordinary conversation.

These products can be a godsend to the patient disabled person  but
you won't see them in wide office use anytime soon. Most users find
them an interesting novelty but give up eventually.

Speech recognition software to control  programs using a limited
vocabulary of commands works much better but there it competes with
your mouse which after all is pretty easy to use!

So If you paid significant money for the software consider returning
it.  Most users do find it has some amazement value but eventually
realize that dictating is hard work.  YMMV Your milage may vary of
course.

It IS worth knowing if your main board can take a faster CPU but you
would have to find out exactly what board it is.  If your COMPUTER is
made by a big name manufacturer like Dell, Gateway etc your chances
are less because they design computers precisely to require
replacement every few years. We would need to know the exact model
number.

If your board can take a 400MHz that IS  worth doing. NONE of your
documentation will directly address such an upgrade!!!  But it CAN be
determined.if you can determine the chipset and the jumper settings
available and BIOS support on the board.

The procedure - if possible -  is considerably easier than changing
the mainboard.

Mark Paulson