From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:22:34 -0800
I own a few Adaptec 4 port USB2 PCI cards, as well as one Adaptec 2 port
PCMCIA card, for my laptop. These can be purchased regularly at CompUSA,
after rebates, for around 20 bucks. I also own one PCI USB2 Orange Micro
4+1 interior port card. The Orange Micro card comes with a 5.5 inch front
faceplate, with a single port, so you can have a USB port in the front of
your computer. You use the interior USB port to hook this up. Cost is
around $50 at buy.com

According to a PCMAG review nothing close to the speed of the Orange Micro.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,847802,00.asp?o=3&p=1

My own simple tests showed that transferring a 140 megabyte zip file, on
two different computers with the same processor, and similar hard
drives,... the Orange Micro took around 5 seconds while the Adaptec took
around 40 seconds.

I have my Orange Micro hooked up to a Western Digital J series 160GB 7200
RPM  8 meg cache hard drive, that is in an external case,... and a Sony
DRU-510A DVD/CD multi format burner, in an external case, and I can't tell
the difference from the drives and burners that are internally installed.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>Want to add a USB-2.  Any difference in brands?  Belkin seems to be
>common.
>Charles Bennett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml