From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 04:01:42 -0700
At 11:02 PM 11/6/2001, John Stoker wrote:
>Hi,
>  Ive been trying to install win 98 on a used 1.35g hdd. Using a start up disk I go thru
> the gammit and arrive at: you have a drive larger than......  . Then I am told that I
> need to install a boot partition. After going thru the FDISK setup I finally arrive at
> cannot read fdisk. Same thing happens after going thru the "boot disc" process. What am
> I missing? I have installed both 95 and 98 on other drives.

Okay, let us start at the beginning, as I have trouble following
your question.

Place your Win98 boot disk in the A drive, floppy drive and turn
on the system.  It will go through the POST phase, (this is run
by the Bios and ends when you see "Starting Win98...").  Then
your computer will begin the Boot phase and should end with
an A prompt, it will look like this:   A:\>

Now, type in FDISK and press Enter.

You will have a page appear of about fifteen lines ending
with the question  "Y".   This is basically for drives over
2gigs in size...  in your case, type in "N."   Now, choose
the item for delete partition, removing the existing partition.

You will need to now add a new partition.  This part is simple in
that you tell it to add a new Dos partition.  For a complete
explanation about adding partition, visit PCBUILD's web
site and read the FAQ on partitions:
     http://freepctech.com/pc/001/001.shtml

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group