From:
JM SUDELA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 01:21:03 -0800
Date:    Fri, 23 Nov 2001 00:38:22 -0800
From:    JM SUDELA <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Keyboard Hangs when attempting to Fdisk with a new mobo & HDD

I am trying to upgrade a PC with a new mobo/processor and HDD.  I am using a
WIN ME startup diskette to boot to an A: prompt.........................

Thus far, I have received  two (2) replies to my subject post above.  1.
Suggested that I disable any Virus protection in the BIOS of my mobo.  I
looked throughout my CMOS and BIOS setup screens for this mobo and there was
no "virus protection" option available.
2. Suggested that I use a WIN 98SE boot disk to attempt the FORMAT of the
HDD. as WIN ME did not support the FORMAT command structure.
   I followed that suggestion and ended up with the same results.

I am able to get as far in the FDISK program as Creating Active DOS
partition and setting the size of that partition. I am not able to get to
the point where I create the extended DOS partition.  If the keyboard has
not locked up by then it wont let me proceed any further.

I guess I should ask the question "Do I really need DOS partitions to
prepare the HDD for a clean install of WIN XP Home Edit?"
Perhaps I'm trying to accomplish something that is, in fact, redundant to my
goal.

If anyone has any input on the process that I should follow to format a
"new" HDD to prepare it for WIN XP I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks to my fellow list members for their suggested fixes thus far.

Jim Sudela