From:
Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:31:07 -0400
Hi thanks for your detailed reply.  Both of us have the rev. 1.0
board.  One individual on the newsgroups mentioned that the 1.0 rev of the
BH6 doesn't support the correct voltage I/O for the card to work
properly?  Is this possible?  What's the relation between a video card and
motherboard as far as voltage is concerned?  I guess it goes beyond just
replacing with a larger wattage power supply.

Unfortunately the link you gave me doesn't seem to work and i haven't been
able to track down such a list on either the Guillemont or Hercules site.

His CPU used to be overclocked but he brought it down for troubleshooting.

Thanks again,

- Bill

>Bill,
>
>Guillemot has a compatibility document on their website
>
>http://www.guillemot.com/northamerica/main/products/3d_prophet/comp3dx32_021
>600.doc )covering motherboards that they have tested with the 3D Prophet
>card and the BH6 was listed as a good motherboard.  I have a Creative
>Annihilator Pro which is installed on a Abit BE6 which I moved to a BH6 to
>see if it would work.  Creative's Fastrax driver allowed me to select AGP 1x
>for the card, proper BIOS settings and a separate IRQ for the GeForce and I
>had no problem.  The GeForce2 is less power hungry then its predecessors but
>it should work also.  I don't know which revision of the BH6 you have but I
>have revision 1.1.  You also do not mention whether the CPU is overclocked
>or not.  There also has been some mention that the GeForce cards will not
>work with some monitors but I do not know which monitors they are.
>
>The GeForce cards do not like to share an IRQ so you might have to go into
>the BIOS and manually select IRQ's for all of the PCI cards.  PCI slot 1
>can't be populated as it shares an IRQ with the AGP slot.
>
>Some items to check when setting up the GeForce cards are your BIOS
>settings:
>
>Assign IRQ to VGA (or video) - Find this somewhere in your BIOS set it ON or
>AUTO.
>Video BIOS cacheable - disabled.
>Video BIOS shadow - disabled.
>VGA Palette Snoop- disabled.
>PCI Palette Snoop- disabled.
>C8xxxx-CBxxxx Shadow- disabled
>
>Also check the following:
>
>1) Change the RAM into another RAM slot (usually the slots furthest from the
>CPU).
>(2) Change the ram settings to CAS3 from CAS 2.
>(3) Disable ACPI in Windows 98/95.
>(4) Disable any virus checking programs running in the background
>
>Power can be another problem depending on how many slots are populated and
>fans connected to the motherboard.  I had to upgrade my power supply on the
>BE6 from a 250w to a 300w power supply to stabilize the system.  I also
>connected the fan on the card to the power supply instead of the video card.
>
>The AGP ports enables video cards to use texture maps directly from system
>memory instead of just caching then in local memory.  The graphics
>controller and CPU use a single aperture of several megabytes to access the
>AGP memory.  The chipset translates memory addresses so the graphics
>controller and its software can see it as a single chunk in main memory
>allowing the graphics controller to access large textures as single objects.
>If the AGP aperture is less then 64 MB in some systems you disable AGP
>completely, other systems disable AGP at 16 MB or below.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Mary Wolden

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions