From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:01:10 -0700
Windows XP Service Pack 3 is just as stable as its Service Pack 2
predecessor in my own experience without adding much in the way of
overhead. It's also the only supported version of XP left. Microsoft is
no longer writing patches for XP unless Service Pack 3 is installed as a
prerequisite. No reason not to install Service Pack 3 at this point.
Just make sure to have the system clean of viruses before you do so, so
the infection doesn't interfere with the installation or infect the
various backups made by the upgrade process. Several of my fellow
contributors made very good suggestions on various resources and methods
to try. Best wishes for a healthy computing experience, both for your
machine and for you (stress and the like).