From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:53:33 -0800
On 11 Oct 00, at 23:33, Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

> I am new to this and started my first network today. I have a
> Linksys 5 port EtherFast HUB (not router), a desktop PC and a
> notebook. My modem is a Motorola CyberSurfer on the @home system.
> The Desktop is running Win98, and the laptop is running Win98SE.
> ICS is NOT installed.
>
> Instead, I went the two IP route, and I purchased a second IP from
> @home. When I do a winipcfg, each computer shows up with its unique
> host name, and different IP addresses, so the 2 computers are being
> seen by @home as distinct entities.
>
> I have plugged the modem into the uplink port of the hub, and each
> of the 2 computers into other ports (neither in port 1 which is
> shared with the uplink).
>
> If I fire up the desktop, everything works fine. Internet is OK.
> VPN to my workplace is OK.
>
> However, the laptop cannot access the internet.
>
> If I reverse the process, i.e. fire up the laptop, it accesses the
> internet just fine, including my wife's VPN (a different one) to
> her workplace (a different one).
>
> Then the desktop PC is unable to access the internet.
>
> So, each machine works perfectly on its own, but locks out the
> other one from sharing the modem connection.
>
> How do I get these two machines to share the modem, which of
> course was the whole point of the exercise?
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Michael

  What happens if, from one machine, while it's on the Internet (but
not in a VPN, for now) you try to ping the other one?

  I'd expect this to be an issue that @home has seen before -- either
with the CyberSurfr or with their service.
  I tried looking up specs on the Cybersurfr online, and found pages
over the past two years with pictures of different-looking devices.
SOME of those pages state that it can handle multiple IP addresses,
but others make no such claim.  Reading between the lines a little,
it is claimed to support SNMP but to take no IP address of its own,
and I infer that it will therefore respond to a limited range of
queries directed to (one of) the connected IP(s).  I can easily
imagine that such a function might, if defective, interfere with
correct operation of multiple IP addresses....
  Another possibility is that while you've purchased a second IP
address, @home (or their local franchisee) still shows your line for
single-IP service.

David G

                     visit our download web page at: