From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 09:50:15 -0400
Date:    Sat, 7 Oct 2006 12:55:06 -0400
From:    John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Missing hal.dll

This is a follow-up describing the outcome of my effort to deal with a
similar problem (i.e., the same error message and failure to boot up a
laptop).

After installing the laptop's drive in a USB external drive enclosure, I
backed up the data files on the drive and then ran scan disk from the disk
management utility (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer
Management > Disk Management; then, right click on the drive or partition
that you want to scan, select Properties, then Tools, and Check Now, under
the Error-checking option, select the options to automatically fix file
system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, when that
screen comes up).

Although I didn't get any notification that errors were found (let alone
fixed), I tried the drive back in the laptop after doing this, and the
laptop booted up fine.

Note, you can run scan disk from the recovery console, as mentioned in the
MS Knowledge base article, which I linked to in my previous post, but I was
reluctant to do this without having first made an effort to back up the data
files on disk, since these were very important to the user and no back up
had been made, previously.

HTH

John Sproule

From My Previous Post:

Here are a couple of resources that address this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

Jim's Original Message: