From:
Vincent Winterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2014 12:43:09 -0400
With 8gb of ram you needn't have a swap file.

The option to run XP programs in 7 is through a Microsoft Virtual Machine. Some find it useful, others not so much. If you have the XP machine and you're keeping it, that should be sufficient and probably more efficient in the end run.

Some XP programs might have compatibility problems. What are the programs you have concerns about?

Windows 7 should be able to read most of what was created in XP, again at the general levels you've stated (i.e., we don't know what specifically you're referencing).

The best approach is a clean install of Windows 7.

Vincent Winterling
Vineland, NJ