From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 21:28:07 -0400
On Wednesday 14 May 2003 05:04 am, Paul J. Traynor wrote:
> Paul:
> You should be able to do it if the drive is going to be dedicated
> entirely to
> RedHat. According to http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/,
> you
> need at least 475 MB for a minimum installation, 1.7 GB for a personal
> desktop, 2.1 GB for a workstation. (You won't be able to install
> everything,
> however, as that requires 5.0 GB.) Note that these requirements do _not_
>
> include file storage space.
>

> Carroll,
>
> Thank you for that, would I have enough in a 10gb drive for
> applications plus data storage?.
>
> Paul.

Paul:
Oh yes -- 10 GB will work very well indeed! Assuming that you are a newbie to
Linux, here are some lessons I've learned the hard way:

1. Be sure to check out the Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List before you get
too far into this project. Just because something runs under Windows doesn't
mean that it will work with Linux, and it's better to know about these things
beforehand. Although the hardware compatibility situation has greatly
improved over the past few years, there is some hardware which will require
some extra work to get going or, worse, will never work. Pay particular
attention to your modem and video card. You can usually dance around any
problems with other devices, but you're pretty much dead in the water without
those two critters.

2. Select a journalled file system -- I run ext3fs, but reiser and others also
work very well. Among other things, a journalled filesystem will protect you
against having a sudden power failure trashing your whole installation.

3. I'd recommend choosing either the default Workstation or Desktop
installation; it's no big deal to install other programs later on.

4. Check to see if there is a Linux User Group (LUG) in your area -- you can
get tons of free advice there.

Good luck,
Carroll Grigsby