From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 18:22:53 -0700
Hi Rudy,

What are you trying to achieve with such an "upgrade". Note that very little
if anything could be gained in performance by simply upgrading the
motherboard. Most of the upgrade potential would be in a new processor. If
the existing motherboard will not support an upgraded processor, then you
would have to upgrade it too. To take advantage of the new processor and
motherboard's potential, then you will likely need a RAM upgrade too.
Certainly all this is well over $100.

If your existing MB has simply failed, then the most important
characteristics for a new one would be..

1.) Will it physically fit in your case? Many of the big brand PC's use some
proprietary sized cases or connector layouts that make it nearly impossible
to find a third party replacement that will fit properly.

2.) Will it support your existing processor?

3.) Will it support your existing RAM?

4.) Will it support your existing peripherals (PCI clots, IDE/SATA
connectors, etc)?

So, without knowing your intent, it is a little hard to be more specific.

Russ Poffenberger