From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:36:19 -0800
On 8 Oct 99, at 7:11, Norm Thompson wrote:

> When I attempt to boot my computer I get a black screen with the
> four dots at the top,nothing else happens. If I switch off the
> computer and insert a  floppy disk in its drive and switch on the
> computer I get the message "non system disk......".If I then remove
> the floppy and press any key the computer boots up quite happily
> and away I go.  Can anyone help me with this.

  It sounds like you need to "warm it up" before it will start.  This
points suspicion at the power supply, which may be not quite adequate
for the load -- whether because it is no longer quite up to rated
specs, or because its rated specs are not quite enough for your needs.

  [You could try to verify this with a meter.  But the fix in either
case is to replace the power supply, possibly with a higher-rated
unit.
  Note that while leaving the machine plugged into the wall provides
a ground for working on electronic components, you MUST unplug it to
work on the power supply!]

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org