From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:30:52 -0800
From: "A&C Thompson"
Subject: [PCBUILD] New hdd & fdisk

Excerpt from original message: > So far everything is going fine except that I don't see the old
drive when I run fdisk.

OK, now that may have seemed like a silly question ( now that I know the answer - thanks Volkard ),
but it was my first ever install of a new hdd and using fdisk. Now hopefully my next questions
aren't too dumb:

Since the new drive (40gig) contains the OS, how should I set up the old 60gig drive? All I want to
do is partition the drive into small logical drives.

1.) Must I create a primary dos partition on the 60gig, if so, how big is necessary? ( Fat32 won't
support smaller than 512 MB - is that correct, and does that mean it must be at least that big? ) It
already contains a primary dos partition - there are no other partitions - that partition uses the
entire 60 gigs.

2.) Must I create an extended dos partition just so I can create logical drives within it, or can I
create logical drives within the primary dos partition? Do I leave the primary dos partition on the
40gig drive set to active? Do I need an active partition on the 60gig? If so, which?

3.) How will the drive letters be affected - right now the new drive contains C, E, F, G, & H and
the old drive is D.

Hypothetically, what would happen to my cdrom and dvd drive letters if I used all the letters for
logical partitions?

4.) Finally, can I set the drive letters for my cdrom and dvd drives as I want them? If so, how?

I'm sure some of you are probably shaking your head, wondering how someone can do the hard stuff,
yet be brain-dead on the easy stuff, but I really am competent enough to be dangerous ;-)

Thanks in advance

Al Thompson