From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 16:21:40 -0500
"I did not put any thermal compound on the processor because it came with some already on it."

This does not sound correct, but, of course, I haven't seen everything!  Are you sure that there wasn't a piece of tape or something to peel off of what was on what you thought was the thermal compound?  I have never seen actual thermal compound on a processor - is there any chance that you bought a bad one that had been returned and resold?  What I have seen is a processor/fan combo with a square piece of stuff on it, and I think that I had to peel off the top to expose the sticky, wet thermal compound.  This was on an AMD processor about three years ago and I don't remember the details.  (Others would.)

I disagree with Paul's comment about brass standoffs.  There is usually a bit of exposed conductor around the hole that the screw and standoff touches with no problem.  I always assumed that it grounded the motherboard to the case, but that doesn't have to be so.

Dean Kukral