From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:46:38 -0800
On 11 Oct 99, at 13:32, Edna Sloan wrote:

> Thanks for the URL for the 2930 card.  As I understand it the
> internal connect will have its own termination - is separate from
> the external chain which has its own termination?

  It's a bit trickier than that.  The adaptor provides a single SCSI
bus, capable of linking up to 8 devices (the controller itself counts
as one of these.  Think of the controller as being in the middle of
the bus, with the internal connector on one side and the external
connector on the other side.
  Each end of the bus must be terminated for reliable operation.  The
card can supply termination for one end, if one (either) of its
connectors has nothing plugged into it.  If you connect a chain of
devices to either connector, the end of the chain away from the card
must be terminated; if you connect devices to both connectors (which
is what you are planning) then the card will no longer be at either
end of the bus, and so can no longer supply termination.

> Also a problem I have with this card is that I can't do a warm
> boot(hangs with flashing cursor) - it has to be turned off/on to
> reboot(unless I reboot windows only, holding shift key.  I assume
> this is a problem with the card itself.  Otherwise it works fine.

  Most Adaptec controllers will let you into a configuration utility
if you press Ctrl-A during the boot process.  I don't know
specifically what features the 2930 lets you set, but it sounds like
something is not quite set right.  [I'd experiment with options
involving "INIT" and/or "RESET", but many odd SCSI behaviours turn
out to be due to incorrect termination....]

David G

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org