From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:27:26 -0700
From: Pamela Leming
Subject: [PCBUILD] Dial Up Adapter/Win98 SE

> A friend of mine is having problems with connecting to his ISP.  I've been
> trying to help him over the phone, but it's been almost impossible!
> Here's the story:
>
> He was connected thru his ISP (Concentric), browsing the internet, PC
> locked up and had to reboot.  After reboot, could no longer dial out and
Windows
> gave him some type of error message about dial up networking not working
(?).  He
> ended up calling the ISP, they had him look in Network Properties.  No
dial up
> adapter found.  When the tech at the ISP had him delete everything there
and try
> to REINSTALL the dial up adapter, the computer locked up again.  Since
dial
> up networking is installed, each time he reboots windows, he gets the
message
> that Windows must install the dial up adapter.  Yet, each time he tries to
do
> this, the computer locks up and won't complete.  He does get a message
that says
> that Windows cannot install the dial up adapter.  We eventually got to the
Add/
> Remove programs/Windows Setup tab and deleted all the dial up networking
> stuff under Communications.  That cured the problem of Windows always
trying to
> install the dial up adapter.  Go back and try to reinstall all the stuff
> under Communications from the Windows Setup tab again.  Still no luck
installing
> the dial up adapter.  He even tried to reinstall Windows over the existing
one
> but got hung up again when he got to the part where Windows Setup asks him
> choose a Client.  It won't let him choose any of the clients (such as
windows
> family logon), and won't let the install continue.  There IS a 3com
ethernet card
> in this machine, but it's been disabled in Device Manager since he doesn't
> use it for anything.
> He has an IBM clone, 550 mhz, 4 GB HD, Creative ModemBlaster USB Modem,
> 128 MB RAM.
>
> Could the dial up adapter files and or dial up networking files be
> corrupt?  If so, wouldn't the reinstall of Windows fix that?  Or would he
have to
> reformat and reinstall??  We just can't seem to get past the installation
of the
> dial up adapter.  Since he's long distance, I can't SEE what is happening,
so I
> hope I've done a reasonable job of explaining the problem.  Can anyone
offer
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pam Leming
*************************************

Two things I would suggest that may help. Remove the 3com card and all
related 3com entries in the registry.
And, if present, replace the following two files which cause alot of grief
for DUN if they are corrupt:
TAPIEXE.EXE
PSTORES.EXE
Hope this helps.