From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:34:28 -0500
Asus is one of the larger mb manufacturers and has a reputation for quality
but
not necessarily good service.  What you have to realize is that most major
brands
(Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel, Soyo, etc)  all produce about the same
"quality"
products in the sense that we think of it - long lasting and trouble free.
Occassionally
one might ship a poorly engineered dog, but, for the most part, they know
what they
are doing.  Integrated circuits generally die young or else last a long
time.

What you pay for, then, is usually performance and features.  The higher
performing
boards include the higher performing parts (which are generally the
latest-and-
greatest-and-most expensive) and cost more.  Additional features cost more.
Each
brand will have its consumer-level boards which are less expensive.

You must decide for yourself what level of performance and features you need
and
are willing to pay for.  Three good places to look for information are,

    www.tomshardware.com
    www.anandtech.com
    extremetech.com

Anandtech also provides links to other hardware review sites.

Half the fun of uprading is educating yourself on what is out there.

Good hunting!

Dean Kukral   [log in to unmask]