From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:03:11 +0000
Greetings Roberto and list--

> Price and controller appart, a RAID made with SATA HDDs, and other RAID made
> with SCSI 10k HDD.
> Would they be similar in performance?
> I have to buy an office server and i asked it with SCSI HDD, but whwt the have
> now for me is one with SATA HDD

From what limited amount I have learned about SATA and SCSI, a RAID array with
SCSI drives has much higher performance, as much due to its independent (from the
processor, etc.) bus as anything else. Additionally, SATA has a peak data transfer
rate of 150 MB/sec. Server-grade SCSI arrays (when using the Ultra320 hardware)
have a sustained data transfer rate that may be as high as the SATA's peak. SCSI
will have a higher cost/MB, but your post did specify price and controller apart.

Additionally, SATA is now the "newer" technology, whereas SCSI arrays have
a much longer track record.

Another question for the makers of the SATA RAID server is are the drives hot-swap
capable? Most server SCSI RAID arrays are set up to allow for this in the event of
a drive failure.

HTH.

Paul A. Shippert