From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:02:08 -0400
With only two computers, you can network them together
without a router.

If each computer has an ethernet card you can connect
the two cards directly to one another with an ethernet
crossover cable.

Now network the two computers together.  It would be easiest
to use netbeui (the default on older windows os's), or you could
use tcp/ip.  In the latter case you will have to assign ip addresses
by hand, e.g., 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 for your two
machines.

Install one printer on each machine (plug into the printer
port, etc.)  Share each printer (i.e., make it available to
the network).  Then "install" the other machine's shared
printer as a network printer on each machine.

Each machine can now see both it's own local printer
and the other machine's printer over the network.  (The
network, of course, is just the two machines connected
by the simple ethernet crossover cable.)

Once you get the two machines networked together,
setting up and sharing the printers should be quite
straightforward.  The exact details will depend on the
specific os.

Call back with info on the specific os and specific
roadblocks you hit if you have problems.

zucman0 <[log in to unmask]>

> I want to connect my two computers so they can use either of my two printers. Can someone give me an idea how to do this without using a router.  Thanks

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews