Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:18:15 -0600
Larry Adler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have a used HP Pavilion XL866 that came with Windows ME installed. Due to some problems that were mostly of my own creation, I installed a new version of Windows XP Home, and XP now runs great. However, now when I try to power down the machine, only Windows closes and the screen goes black, yet the fan and processor keep running. In order to turn off or reboot the computer, I have to manually hold down the power button for several seconds until all goes silent. I have reinstalled software, changed BIOS settings and tried seemingly everything recommended by "online experts" -- all to no avail. Anybody have any answers? Thanks.

Larry, here is a copy of the post I sent when I was having a similar problem:

I run  WinXP.  About a month ago, I noticed that my speakers started popping after I shut my comp down. A week or so later, I noticed that I still heard noise from my comp after it seemed to shut down correctly. I opened it up, and the fans are still running, and the power light is flickering. The only way to get the fans off is to cut the electricity or use the switch at the back of the comp.

I don't know if this is what your problem is, it sounds like it could be. I replaced the power supply and I have never had anymore problems. Lesa

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com