Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:52:48 EDT

I hope I'm asking the correct list.  If not, let me know and  I'll repost
on PCSOFT.

My neighbor's computer (Windows Vista Home Basic) has  internet explorer.
He's connected to DSL.  Funny thing is when he  opens IE he gets error
message saying that page cannot be opened and then the  obligatory diagnose
connection.

He is able to connect and check his email via windows mail, can  do the
Windows Update through the "tools" tab from IE but not get connected  via IE.

I went to internet properties and all appeared ok:  set to  auto for
discovering connection etc.  Although I noticed the firewall was  off.  I turned
it back on.  He can't connect to update  his antivirus subscription either.
But we know there's a dsl  connection (lights green on modem, the number 1
position on modem blinks--that's  the connection to his computer) otherwise
he wouldn't be able to connect to get  his email.

I tried system restore.  Restarted computer, pushed F11 for  system
restore, and went back to furthest date: 8-30-09.  It started but  then stopped and
said there was an error doing system restore and no files have  been
changed.

What should I do next?

TIA,
Kevin  Nowicki