From:
Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:12:51 EDT
Hi David!

    Although they're getting harder to find, Diamond Multimedia's 56K v.90 ISA
SupraMax works fine in older systems. I've got two of them, one being in a
very old Compaq 486 25/SX. But let me tell you, NOT ALL ISA modems will work.
Usually when you see the word PNP before the word ISA, its going to have to be
in a faster Pentium systems. I've never really understood this...

    Here's about the best deal on the latest version of the SupraExpress I've
seen lately:

http://www.onvia.com/CnetShopper/Products/index.cfm?Task=ViewProduct&IDCatalog=189913

    If you search, you can find some other brands out there that are under
$40. If tried a few, but the Diamonds always setup and operate with the least
trouble...

    Hope this helps,
    Michael T Miller

David Hurst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Have an old Gateway 2000 P5-60 "antique' that still runs fine.  I am
passing it along to my mother in law who wants to become Internet
certified *g*.  The machine has been matched with an external 28.8
modem.  Want to install a 56k internal modem in this machine.. Can a
P5-60 mhz machine accept a 56k modem ?

appreciate

David Hurst

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions