From:
Frederick Navarro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:03:40 -0700
I've experienced this also, wherein it would boot up but in the middle, it
will just hang itself up. Later I realized that there was a component from
my mobo which was already defective. What i did was i detached all add-on
cards (sound,LAN,etc) except for the video and memory which is required to
load up. Using the same hard drive, i installed one card after the other
then i later found out that my sound card was the culprit causing my PC not
to load up properly. Try to disable your LAN and sound cards if they are
directly attached to the mobo (on-board) in your BIOS setup. Hope this
helps.
 Frederick Navarro

 On 9/20/05, Asa Frye <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've run out of ideas on this one. My sister has an IBM NetVista --
> model 2251-TEU; Pentium III processor; 30Gig HD; 256MB RAM; Windows Me.
> Of course her problems began almost immediately after the warranty
> expired. She described her problems this way:
>
> ". . .it started with the computer not shutting down completely. .
> .just the wallpaper on the screen and I'd have to turn it off manually.
> . .later I'd get the "improper shutdown detected" screen. I don't
> remember if this started before or after I downloaded the Windows
> update. I did the Windows update because I wanted to listen to the AOL
> Radio while on-line and I couldn't do so until I got the Windows
> (Media) update.
>
> Then sometimes I would get error messages like "the system is
> dangerously low in resources", and others. . .one of them being an
> error detected in "kernel" with some numbers following it.
>
> The real craziness started when I upgraded to the latest version of AOL
> earlier this year--9.0 Security I think. . .after doing that, the
> computer would freeze in the booting up phase. At first I thought it
> had something to do with McAfee or something else that was installed
> with the AOL upgrade, because prior to that, I could still use my
> computer but it was just acting a little wacky with the error messages
> and shuting down. After the AOL upgrade, I couldn't get past the boot
> up to even use it.
>
> I then tried reformatting ("f-ing the disk") and that didn't help. I
> took it to Cotton and it got worse. That's where you came in."
>
> I started looking at this computer in mid July, so this could be a
> really LONG story. . .but I'll get to what I think are the key
> observations.
>
> 1) The main "symptom": The computer "stalls" at the same point after
> the POST. The desktop would appear, but then the screen would go black
> and the computer could only be shut down by pulling the power cord.
> 2) Swapping out harddrives and RAM sticks proved that they are OK. I
> was able to boot up one of my computers using her harddrive.
> 3) Using an older "spare HD with Win95, or installing 98 onto her HD
> gave the same results as Me. I can only fully boot while in safe mode.
> With XP installed it behaved worse: it would stall immediatly after the
> POST without ever showing the desktop, and I can't even boot in safe
> mode with XP.
>
> The service technician (Cotton) told her that she had a problem with
> her mobo. I was skeptical about that -- but I admit that I'm no expert.
> He could be right, but I'm at a loss to understand how the mobo might
> be affected by a Windows or AOL update. I was somewhat encouraged by
> the fact that I was able to get "some" life from the thing while in
> safe mode.
> But I don't know where to go from here. Can't do much without all those
> drivers activated.
>
> Basically, I don't know if this is a hardware (mobo) or software
> [...]

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com