Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:12:05 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, April 19, 1999 8:02 PM

>Hi Doug,

   I have an HP 1120C which uses same black cartridge 51645A as your 1600C.
Ran out of black over the week end and unable to find one in stock anywhere
started casting about for alternatives.  From an earlier post I have already
sent for a kit from another outfit.  Their on-line instructions are not as
complete as those I now see from your recommended MIS Assoc.  I note therein
a warning about dried out cartridges.  I replaced one last Sept 1998 and
kept the empty with vague idea I might refill.  (Had some previous good
experience with reinking ribbons for a daisy wheel printer).  I now have a
second black empty which I just removed and which I will follow the
precautions about drying out, then refill as soon as my kit arrives, couple
more days probably.
   With respect to the verbose prelude abv, have you had experience with the
drying out factor and do you think it worth trying to rescue the older
cartridge.  I think the later one may still have a little ink, since it
weighs a small fraction more than the earlier one and the indicator has a
very narrow green streak, instead of all black and the warning light did not
come on.  However it would not print continuously with bands in the solid
areas and characters striated.  The newly purchased cartridge is printing
fine (it should,--- cost $36 bucks--Wal Mart out of stock for several days)
so the printer is OK.
   Whew!.  If you can handle all of that, would greatly appreciate your
opinons.
Bob Decker

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html