From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:36:35 -0700
Mark Rode wrote:
>   I have focused on two models... a Epson 760 or a Lenmark Z52. Both of
> these retail at discount at 150 to 170.  Reviewers like both of these and
> while the Z52 is a new model, wins in overall performance, and has better
> resolution 2400X1200 the Epson still wins the color photo contest.The Epson
> also has a cheaper price and a good rebate which makes it a very attractive
> choice for my needs.

By what I've read on your post you are looking for a good middle of the
road unit that will give good photo quality, near laser text and have
some decent speed to boot. In that case I would recommend the Epson 760
or possibly the 860. It has a decent speed in text and an impressive
photo quality.

If you're serious about the 760 then this printer is excellent. A better
price can be gotten at A Matter of Fax (888)212-7656 for 69.00 after the
rebate. I just purchased an 860 from the same company and the cost after
rebate is only 85.00 not including shipping. The print speed is a little
faster but then again, I had to satisfy several requirements from the
boss. (Claudia, my lovely wife)

> I have read comments about Epson InkJets on the list regarding clogged
> print heads that are permanently attached and problematic. It is my
> understanding that this was a problem with older models and Epson has
> resolved a lot of this. Is this in fact the case ? Can some one with hands
> on knowledge explain this issue to me.

Is there a way to clean the heads if
> they become clogged. Do they dry up easily ? Is this one of those printers
> that the more you use them the better they work ? Are their other issues,
> like print alignment with the Epson.

Any printer will burp once in a while. There are two camps debating this
issue. One side feels that the heads built into the cartridge like HP
and a few others is best because if the jets get clogged, pitch the
cartridge and go on about your business.

The other side, those who prefer the permanent jets like the Epson has,
not to mention the better resolution will go toe to toe with the other
side every time. I prefer the higher resolution and better text with
this setup as opposed to the other.

With HP, the ink is dispersed by heat or a bubble if you will. With
Epson, it is done by a mechanical means which means there is better
control over the final quality of the print not to mention the smaller
dot size.

As for the permanent head being problematic, certain measures need to be
taken the same as with the other. The only reason for clogged jets in
either the permanent side or disposable is due to the fact the ink dries
out. That is a given. How do you prevent this? In either camp one has to
cycle the printer on at least once a week. What this means is,
physically turn the printer on. I recommend that my clients cycle them
more often in hot weather. This does use ink as some will point out but
the object here is to keep the capillaries open so the ink will flow
freely. The same process takes place with jets built into the cartridge
too. Never leave the printer on all the time. It will not cycle or go
through it's diagnostic program as it does from the cold start position.
As for the question about using the printer more makes it better? I
don't really think so. Using it more keeps the capillaries full of fresh
ink.

If an Epson jet gets clogged it can be cleaned. Epson offers a cleaning
solution and instructions to do so. Please bear in mind that Epson sells
repair manuals and things of that nature through distributors. You may
get this information from their site.

One method I use to clean the heads is a 50/50 mixture of simple green
and a syringe of some sort to force (gently of course) the solution
through the tubes to clear them. Built into the software of the Epson
printer are diagnostics that will amount other things, let you know the
ink level of all colors. The method that is used to unclog the jets is
extensive and if it doesn't work the first time, the utility becomes
more aggressive.

> I understand that cartridges are not refillable which is all right for me
> since I don't use my color InkJet that often. How much ink do the
> cartridges hold and how long do they last compared to a HP. Are they around
> the same cost a a HP? I have a Espon Action Laser that has been very good
> to me but the one bad thing is the cost of the cartridges. They last 5 to
> 6000 pages and I have only had to replace it once but it costs 160 dollars
> to get a new one. Do the InkJets have expensive cartridges ? How many
> cartridges are there in a Epson ...2? Are there other Epson issues I need
> to be aware of ?

Epson like most printer manufactures don't recommend refilling for
obvious reasons. There are those that will do it knowing the cost. Like
over clocking or speeding, there are those that will no matter what.

In the case of the 760 the following is an approximate life on the
cartridges:

Black ink life:
                                 900 pages text
                                 (ISO/IEC 10561 letter pattern)
                                 634 pages graphic
                                 (5% coverage)

                                 Color ink life :
                                 300 pages (15% coverage)

                                 Shelf life:
                                 Two years from production

In the Epson, there are two cartridges in residence. One black ink and
on three color ink. The cost will vary. One thing I like is the dating
as indicated above. Try http://www.pricewatch.com the prices will vary.
Generally speaking, here in Southern California, the Epson cartridges
are less expensive.

Well, this post may be past tense but knowing Epson like I do I had to
give my opinion.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers