From:
Don Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:25:36 -0700
You need to check your motherboard manual and/or manufacturer's web site to
make sure you can run the AMD chip with your mobo (sounds like you can set
the bus speed okay, check the clock multiplier).  This will definitely
speed your system up.  Also, depending on how much RAM you have you may
consider adding more as this is the cheapest way to increase speed on your
system.  A third way to increase performance is to get a better video card,
but you most likely have a VESA Local Bus system and those cards are no
longer manufactured...you may be able to pick one up at a computer swap or
local computer shop which has old parts lying around.

Don Gray

At 02:59 PM 9/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a 486 sx2-50 with a 25/33mhz selection choice on the motherboard.
>I want to put in an upgrade cpu (amd 586-133) which says it will give
>100mhz for a 25mhz board, or 133 for a 33 mhz board. If I switch to 33mhz
>on the board and install the upgrade chip, what other changes am I
>looking at? My system works ok now, just slow. I want to speed it up as
>cheaply as possible w/out messing it up.
>Geo.

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**