From:
Thomas S Sandborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 19:26:19 -0800
>writes:
>
><< If I had it to do over again, I would NEVER EVER get a
> Parallel port scanner again. Too much grief to set them up.
>Tom
> Sandborn >>
>
>Tom:
>
>The information you sent me is exactly what I wanted to know.  I had
>heard the
>same kinds of stories from other people, but these people were just
>beginning
>with computers.  So I needed to hear comments from someone in the
>"know".  Any
>suggestions on a scanner with a USB port?  Any suggestions on one
>would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Susan Hays
I should have clarified. I have a 4 machine network with peripherals
hanging off of most of my machines. The one I put the scanner on did not
have a printer on it so I had  "borrowed" IRQ 7 for other uses.
(Technically a printer port does not need an IRQ, but Windows doesn't
know that sometimes.) Any PP scanner SHOULD have EPP enabled in the bios
(CMOS) to run properly, but many will run fine on SPP or Standard. My
Microtek did not. (Cyrix problem only???) Worse, my original setting was
ECP. THAT will cause a host of other problems sometimes. Once I got that
straightened out, I then had to move IRQs around all over the place to
free up IRQ 7 for the port. I'm sure without the above situations, the
scanner would install easily (I would hope). I still prefer the scanners
that come with their own card. They have always installed quickly. Having
said that, the Microtek is an excellent scanner, and pretty fast, too,
for a sub $100 scanner.

                                                   Tom Sandborn
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html