From:
Peter Darrach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:37:08 -0400
At 11:57 PM 8/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Peter Darrach" :Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 1:50 PM
>Subject: [PCBUILD] CD drive not recognized
>

> > Hi People!

>Snippity,snippity, snip............

> > When I upgraded the HD in my main computer I decided to install the old 2
> > GB HD in the backup machine. Hardware changes are:
> > Master HD on Primary IDE: 2 GB IBM Deskstar AT HD
> > Slave HD on Primary IDE: 500 MB Seagate AT HD
> > The 32X CD drive now set as Master on the Secondary IDE
> >
> > After installation I set the CMOS to Auto detect for the Primary and
> > Secondary IDEs  and then FDISKed and Formatted both drives. They were
> > correctly recognized. The CD was not! I tried, I think, all the detection
> > options to no avail.
> >
> > I then started installing the operating system hoping something would
> > correct the problem. Since DOS 5 was my original full system I started
> > there and then installed the upgrades - DOS 6, DOS 6.11, Win 3.1 and Win
> > for Workgroups. I am stalled there because I need a CD drive to install
>Win 95.
> >
> > On the hardware side I tried disconnecting the secondary HD and then
> > setting the CD as Slave  on the Primary IDE. I also tried it in its
> > original configuration as Slave on the Secondary IDE. In all cases the
> > activity light indicates that the CD is being accessed during boot up but
> > when I insert an audio or data CD it will spin up but then stop.
> >
> > I have also checked and rechecked all my connections and changed the
>ribbon
> > cable. I installed the CD drive in my main computer and it is
>automatically
> > detected and works properly.
> >

> > Anyway, I'm lost! Can anyone lead me out of the wilderness? How can I get
> > the CD recognized?
>
>Peter,
>
>You do not mention whether you ever installed the drivers for the CD Rom or
>not.  Dos and Windows 3.1, and Windows for Workgroups need real mode drivers
>installed for the CD Rom to work.

Mary:  Sorry about that. I did install the drivers- several times. I used
the ones that came with the CD. I guess though that I am a bit confused. I
figured that the drive would be recognized by CMOS before any drivers were
installed. If I recall correctly, they advised me that no drive had been
located.

Despite my confusion, after I received your message I decided to try my
Win98 SE Startup disk and see what it would do. As you know the disk
includes CD support. Lo and behold it worked! I did get a message to REM
the HIGHSCAN from the Config.sys file before proceeding with the Win 95
installation.  I did that and rebooted with the 98 Startup disk in drive
"A", accepted to start the computer with CD assistance. The CD drivers
loaded and I ended up with the "A" prompt. I changed that to "E"- the CD
drive. After inserting the Win 95 upgrade CD, I typed SETUP at the prompt
and proceeded with the Win 95 installation. It is in and working. Even
though the CD drive is not recognized by CMOS, it works. How and why, I
know not.

Answers and further advice welcomed!

Peter Darrach

                     visit our download web page at: