Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:56:08 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Lindstrom, Rick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 12:16 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Adding second HD

<SNIP>
>The question is: what will happen if I merely attach the second HD as a
>slave and attempt to boot the machine? Will the fact that each disk has an
>active partition cause problems? If so, is there a way to "deactivate" the
>active partition on the second drive?

No, there will be absolutely no problem doing it this way.  The active
partition on the primary controller in the master position will be the one
that boots.  The other partition will be ignored as far as booting goes.

>Also, how will the various partitions show up under Windows Explorer? I
>seem to recall that the first partion on each drive will be listed first
>and second, followed by the logical drives from the first HD, then the
>logical drives from the second HD. Is this correct?

You are correct assuming your partitions (other than the primary on each HD)
are set up as logical drives in extended partitions.  If this is true, it
will look like this:

C: - Mas. - Active
D: - Sla. - Active
E: - Mas. - 1st logical
F: - Mas. - 2nd logical
G: - Sla. - 1st logical
H: - Sla. - 2nd logical

If you have more than one "primary" partition on each drive, than the
letters will change accordingly.

Eric Greenberg

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>