From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 12:44:07 -0700
You would need a very critical need to spend this much and take up a
available slot as well.
A cheaper alternative would be to pick up a Digital Thermometer from Radio
Shack for 10 dollars  and stick the outside probe down the top slot one
bracket. You could also get a temperature probe cable that plugs into
compatible motherboard fan plugs.....you stick the probe end on your CPU
heat sink and the temperature is reported in your BIOS or on your desktop
if you have the program to read the info. Most modern motherboard ship with
these motherboard fan plugs and the BIOS / software that will read the
system and CPU ....temperature ......as well as the CPU and other 3 wire
fans RPMs that plug into the mother board .

At 09:09 AM 5/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>    TigerDirect sells a device for monitoring heat build-up inside the
>computer, called "Heat Sentry".  You can order by phone (800-888-4437), or
>on the Internet at: www.tigerdirect.com
>
>    The part number is Q04-2000 and the cost is $79.00.  It comes with an
>>   Recently overclocked my new Celeron 400 to 450 [66->75 MHz], works
>> fine; didn't tried faster yet. But I would like to constantly monitor
>> the CPU temperature to avoid any possible damages
>>   a. How do I install / where do I buy / what could I use to meter
>> the CPU temp? [I have a PPGA Celeron chip on PPGA->Slot1 adapter]
>>
>>   b. Is 40-42 C normal? Would running w/o case help much? I don't
>> like the idea because my area is really dusty, and seldom I drop
>> some objects over the case -- without cover they'd just go inside...

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]